Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Last day in Venice

Well what can I say, what a wonderful end to a fantastic trip.
I met up with Karen and her husband who are from the UK to go and visit the Effetre factory. Effetre is where a lot of the glass that I use is made. Of course we are not allowed to see the actual production, just the showroom. I have never seen so much murrini in my life. Karen bought a kilo of 3 different types of murrini and I said that I would go halves with her. We were also allowed to take a few samples. Karen's husband sneaked a few photos.

After that I wandered about some shops as I wanted to buy myself a little something to bring back. I came across a shop selling some reasonably priced beads and bought this one.

I decided to head back to the b&b to have a drink and a bite to eat for lunch but popped into Davide's studio on the way past. Maria, a girl that was on Kristina's course (from Moscow) was having some 1 to 1 tuition with Davide and Kristina was there which was a lovely surprise. Maria asked if I would join them for lunch, so of course I jumped at the chance.
Davide said that he would like to take me in his boat to a little restaurant on another Island. I thought he was joking but when Maria, myself and Davide went for lunch this is what we did. So I got to go in Davide's boat again, we went very fast and it exhilarating with the wind blowing through my hair, it was a beautiful day warm enough to just wear a t-shirt.
Unfortunately the restaurant he wanted to take us to was closed but he knew of another place so we headed there. It was very quiet but lovely to sit outside in the sun. Davide asked me what I would like for lunch and I said just a sandwich would be fine but Maria had other ideas and insisted that I have a proper meal. I let Davide order for me and had no idea what was coming until a plate of spaghetti with mussels and small clam like shellfish was put in front of me. Those of you that have been reading my blog will know that Friday night was my first time of really eating shellfish but undaunted I gave it a try and it was delicious. I have had the odd taste of shellfish back home but quite often found that it was it bit rubbery and chewy.
I was a bit concerned with getting to the airport in time for my flight, then Maria asked Davide if he would take me in his boat to the b&b and collect my baggage which was all packed and then take me to the water bus which was just outside his studio.  I insisted that I could manage ok as this would take more time out of Maria's class time with Davide but they both insisted. This saved me having to carry my case over 2 bridges and as my neck was giving me problems was much appreciated.
Consequently I had 20 minutes to spare. Maria insisted that I take off my socks and shoes and joined her in dipping my feet in the water. It was cold but nice once you got used to it. I said my goodbyes and Maria insisted on walking me to the boat and waiting until I boarded. I insisted that she go and make some beads with Davide as she had missed so much time with him already but she said that it was a Russian thing and that she would have to see me into the boat.
I caught the Aliguna back to the airport and was on such a high that I did not mind that my flight was delayed by an hour or that I had to wait until midnight for the ferry back to the island because Wightlink have decided not to have any ferries between 9pm and midnight. So I am taking the time to write this up whilst I wait the two hours for it to arrive.
All in all it has been a wonderful trip, new friends made, a couple of whom I will get to see at The Gathering in July and  meeting Davide who made me feel very special. I can't wait to go back.
I will write up a few tips might help other travelers with their trip to Venice in another post.
Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...