I have had a pile of materials, beads, ribbon etc. on my work table for a while now but as I haven't got any craft shows booked I lacked the incentive to make any jewelery with them. Then I saw these fantastic beads by Carolyn Saxby which I just had to buy
and low and behold whilst visiting the Art Bead Scene Blog there was this photo as inspiration for the February Challenge.
This is the first piece I made
Last year I purchased 2 big bags of spiral wire cages cheap from the Smitten Beads open day.
I recently used some of the silver ones in this necklace I made for myself
Then I took an etched purple lampwork bead that I made, added 2 wavy antique bronze bead caps and attached that underneath.
Below that I added one of my wire wrapped glass leaf headpins that had been made using silver glass that has been reduced to give it this lovely lustre.
I then found some antique bronze chain that was from a necklace that I purchase from a charity shop and re-purposed it.
I took a Vintaj brass flower and painted that with purple patina, then I took a brass bead cap and painted that with green patina to make it look like leaves and fixed the glass rosebud to it.
Finally I threaded some silk ribbon that had been hand dyed by Sowzere Designs through some chain I got from Smitten Beads and attached a decorate lobster clasp to finish it off.
I love the look and the colours are just me. Worth showing twice don't you think?
The other piece I made was also a necklace and totally out of character for me.
A while back a friend of mine mentioned to me that she was going to try a product available in the States called Woolywire, I had a look at it and thought it was a nice product but I can't wear wool against my skin and then I had a brainwave and thought about making a similar product using hand dyed silk fibres and ribbon. It took me a while to work out how to attach the material to the wire but once I got that sussed I was well away.
I've called it Fibrewire and here is a picture of some that I have available for sale in my Etsy store
Fibrewire I had made using sari fibre and threaded some of Carolyns beads and my glass rings onto it. I wrapped it and bent it to shape. The great thing about Fibrewire is you can cut it and it won't come away from the wire.
Again I wanted to introduce a rose into the design and decided to have a go at making a glass one based on one of the ones in the painting.
Then I took a brass butterfly and painted it with pink patina and glued it onto the rose.
I thought it needed something to balance out the big rose so I found this ornate antique bronze bead in my stash and set about painting it with patina to give it some colour.
Finally I had some antique brass chain that I dismantled to use the large oval links and taking a selection of my glass discs I made the chain with some more links from another chain. Attached a heart lobster clasp and it was finished.
I'm really pleased with the way it has turned out although I am not sure who would wear it!
I would have liked to make some more pieces as I have lots more waiting to be made but I just ran out of time.
Thanks for looking.